Thursday 7 July 2011

Den bit där det börjar

After years writing solely for my own amusement, for the amusement of my friends and to shout angrily at quacks and creationists and other mean people (sometimes jumbling all three of those into one big mess), I've finally decided I should get around to hoisting some of my scribbles onto a blog, for a wider audience. It may not be necessary, it may not be popular, but what's the harm in trying?

I'll get around to something more serious (perhaps a proper introduction) later, as I'm quite tired now and will be away this weekend, fjord-hunting in Pietermaritzburg.

For now, though, some credit. My lovely background picture is Leaving Gudvangen by boat on the Nærøyfjord, a photo by Pricey, whoever that may be. My thanks, Pricey.

The Nærøyfjord, you will be interested to know, is part of a larger system of fjords, all of which ultimately connect with the big Sognefjord, the largest fjord in Norway. Since this Sognefjord cuts a third of the way across between the North and South of Norway (and since presumably most Norwegians live along the coast), they've had to build enormously long bridges over the fjord in two different places just to carry electric cables. The Nærøyfjord is also notable as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Gudvangen, the village referred to in Mr Pricey's photo title, is where the fjord begins (or ends?), and it seems like a nice enough place.

 The banner picture is stolen borrowed from Jasper van der Meij, and originally showed marginally more zebra than I needed.

(Edit: I'm also quite annoyed that I can't seem to find an easy way of setting the font size anywhere between too small for my half-blind friends to read, and this ogre size.)

No comments:

Post a Comment